Wednesday, October 22, 2014

4 Weeks to NEAS 2014

9:21pm Starting last Sunday, I've begun doing daily rehearsals. I made too many mistakes on Sunday, so now I'm reading my script as slowly as possible, & have been pleasantly surprised because it affords time for my brain to think up additional quips that entertain me. I'm still making mistakes (tongue just doesn't go where it needs to sometimes), but the quips should temporarily distract my audience from those occurrences. And my overall time hasn't suffered much, slipping from the usual 29.5 minutes to as long as 32--still comfortably in range. I enjoy pausing at certain points for dramatic effect, but the danger is that if I pause too long, my mind wanders, & I risk getting out-of-synch with my page-turning & PowerPoint clicking.

I did not send out my mailing-list announcement yet, because I'm still mulling over whether to include a sample slide. I probably will, just to pique everyone's curiosity. It's one I'm planning to distribute on paper to attendees.

I haven't had time to peruse the SBL schedule, so I'm still not sure whether I'll be attending any of those. Will definitely attend at least 1 day of ASOR though.

Will close tonight's post by simply recording my feeling that I was extremely discouraged about my presentation by something that happened this past weekend, but want to remain optimistic about the outcome.

9:43pm

G.M. Grena

1 comment:

Todd Bolen said...

George - I'm sorry to hear about the disappointment. I do look forward to the mailing list announcement. Press on!