Saturday, April 01, 2006

Special Bulletin: Ben-Gurion LMLK

[This post is from an archive; the original message was sent Wed 2/16/2005 9:51 PM.]

During the course of my searching for LMLK postage stamps, I found a very rare piece of Israel memorabilia that I'm presently unable to acquire, but I thought there might be some other LMLK friend, or friend of a friend, or customer of a dealer on this mailinglist that may be interested in it--a complete set of LMLK postage stamp blocks, postmarked 1949, & autographed by some important Israeli political figures at the time--the first prime minister, David Ben-Gurion, & the first president, Chaim Weizmann:
http://inventory.universityarchives.com/search.asp?sn=24870-001&show=True&thumbnails=True&fullimage=1

If you have trouble with that link, go to www.universityarchives.com & enter "flying scroll" in the Inventory Quick Search box. I would've included all of this in the E-mail I sent on Valentine's Day, but I just discovered it yesterday. I am not affiliated with University Archives--I just think it is a fascinating memento from Israel's history, & I believe everyone I'm sending this to has a similar interest in this subject. The LMLK stamps were an integral part of the historic political confrontation between King Hezekiah & Sennacherib, & again more than 2 millennia later at the rebirth of Israel's government!
G.M. Grena

"Well done, now give it back to them."--David Ben-Gurion to Louis Nir, after his unit captured ***Hebron*** in the Six Day War per Observer Guardian, Sunday October 28, 2001.

No comments: