Sunday, April 22, 2012

King Jesus Is His Name

I had the pleasure of attending my 5th Heritage Singers concert (in as many months) yesterday at the Loma Linda Campus Hill Church. As this was a special fundraising event for an orphanage in Haiti, their set lasted only about 45 minutes instead of the usual 60 or 90. They performed the best of their current repertoire in rapid-fire succession:
  • O Happy Day / Nothing But the Blood (featuring Tim Calhoun)
  • Child Forgiven
  • Holy Spirit Rain Down (featuring Melody Davis)
  • Yes I Am (featuring Cindy Haffner)
  • I Believe in a Hill Called Mount Calvary (featuring Max Mace)
  • Strike Up the Band (w/ "LMLK" & "King Jesus" in the chorus)
  • Song of Glory (featuring Marcelo Constanzo)
  • What a Day That Will Be (featuring Val Mace-Mapa)
  • My Lord & I (featuring Tim Calhoun)
  • There's Always a Place at the Table (featuring Tim Calhoun)
  • I Will Glory in the Cross (featuring Marcelo & Tim)
After a collection for the cause, Larnelle Harris performed. I had never heard him before, but was tremendously impressed by the power of his voice. He has a unique technique of suddenly waving the microphone away from his mouth during crescendos. I noticed that in some of the live performances available on YouTube, the audio fluctuates during these moments, but in person the volume remains level because of how he projects volume from within. During some sustained endings, he kept the microphone at waist level! It's really impressive to behold! He sang for about 45 minutes, & these are the titles I recall, though he definitely performed others, particularly in medleys:
  • I Can Be Glad
  • Were It Not for Grace
  • I'd Rather Have Jesus
  • A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
  • Amen
  • (unknown title for encore)
In the following clip, you can see what I mean about the microphone wave during segments 0:42-0:46, 1:02-1:05, & a particularly wild one from 1:51-2:01! G.M. Grena

No comments: