Sunday, July 24, 2011

Newsflash: Another "House of David" Inscription Found!

Back in 2001 I was able to see the Tel Dan Stela (bearing the inscription "BYT DVD") in person at the Bowers Museum, located in Orange County, CA. It was there on loan from the Israel Museum along with some Dead Sea Scrolls to complement the main exhibition featuring paintings of David Roberts.

[Note: As the manager of my own archeological website, I can't resist mentioning the glaring error in The Israel Museum's stele page, where they render its translation according to the Arad "House of God" ostracon! As to this "matter", it is not "well"!]



Little did I know that just up the road in the city of Orange (4033 W Chapman Ave), another "House of DVD" inscription was on permanent display:





Apparently they have several copies, or possibly fragments, which are available for exhibition loans (rentals) or direct purchase (sales). I'll have to investigate...

G.M. Grena

No comments: