Wednesday, August 20, 2014

13 Weeks to NEAS 2014

Would someone please tell that I did not only get about 5 hours of sleep last night, & that the time is not already 10:11pm right now? Ugh! How is this happening each week?!?!

I'm really enjoying the way this presentation is coming together though. I could've written this article a couple hours ago & gone to bed on time, but I decided to finish the details for the Icons section. I ended this evening with 117 slides. Last weekend I finally did my first timed reading to see how close I was to my 20-minute target, & I was very happy to see that it took exactly that amount of time to read (without even looking at a clock while I was reading it). Of course this will fluctuate as I add/subtract details, but it's satisfying to know that I've got a workable draft at this point.

Robert Deutsch's new BAR article on JPFs prompted me to change "Judean" in my presentation's title to "Judahite". I requested a change to the NEAS abstracts brochure, but alas, it's too late; so I'll just do a quick explanation during my opening greeting.

I also finished the chronological section, but now need to crank up the details for the remaining sections, which involve the inscriptions & jar-relatives ... because I'm beginning a new, overtime-intensive engineering job the day after Labor Day, & from September to November, I won't have much spare time.

In other news, today I met the recruiter who coordinated the engineering contract. We chose a convenient spot to meet in El Segundo near the place where I do my staircase race-training. It's a food-court plaza near where the L.A. Kings hockey team & L.A. Lakers basketball team train. I'm not into professional sports (not since puberty when I stopped collecting baseball/football bubblegum cards after becoming ineligible for the final year of Little League baseball, which is a whole 'nother non-king-related story), but the recruiter noticed a fairly high-profile celebrity enter & exit one of the restaurants: the Lakers' GM (General Manager in this case), Mitch Kupchak.

Always fun to see someone famous, but would've been more fun to see a King!

10:59pm



G.M. Grena

No comments: