Wednesday, August 27, 2014

12 Weeks to NEAS 2014

10:01am Since today is in the middle of my last week of vacation before beginning a new engineering contract, I'm indulging in the luxury of it by beginning this entry in the middle of the morning instead of just-past my bedtime!

I completed all the details of my slideshow reaching 177 slides. Unfortunately, the read-aloud timing turned out to be 45 minutes, which was more than double the previous timing when it was still in skeleton form. So now I've begun trimming the fat.

The first section to go was Incisions. I was using one of Todd Bolen's excellent photos of Sennacherib's garment in the famous Lachish relief palace-panel; but I'm also using the same photo for another purpose in another slide near the climax, so no big loss.

Next, I condensed the Icons section from a 2-part version (Usage & Symbolism) down to a single part. Both of these changes resulted in an underwhelming savings of 3 minutes, so obviously I have more hatchet-work to do over the next few days!

The BIG, exciting news is that during the course of doing the support-work for my argumentation, I was able to utilize the new version of my website to mine data published/used nowhere else (as far as I know). It's hard to believe that nearly 9 months have elapsed since I made the new (still unpublished, publicly inaccessible) website, but have not had time to finalize it; nonetheless, it proved to be very helpful in this current project.

In other news, an interesting amphora-laden Phoenician shipwreck has been excavated, & I can't help but wonder if one will ever be found bearing an intact, capped LMLK jar still holding its original contents. I doubt it, but can't exclude the possibility.

The physical phenomenon of Light plays an important role in my slideshow. Since visiting the 8th wonder of the world in Florida back in 1989, I've believed that there's no such thing as solid matter (the way the atomic theory was taught to me in grade school). Light, with its property of amazing speed, continues to baffle scientists; but this week I also read a fascinating article that indicates a convergence with my suspicions about how God's universe is a perception with which we interact rather than a "hard" (for lack of a better word) solid substance. Of course God could've spoken a hard/solid substance into existence, but if everything we experience results from The (spoken) Word of God, then this new Holometer project seems to comport with it.



10:53am (brunch time!)

G.M. Grena

No comments: